Friday, May 08, 2009

Who Took a Peek at the Mifflin Streak?

There were no arrests this year at Penn State's annual Mifflin Streak. In fact, Vice President for Student Affairs Damon Sims attended the event and had this to say
"I'm not streaking," Sims said with a laugh. "It's a nice way for students to blow off steam before finals."

[...]

Sims called the tradition "harmless" and said he wanted to see "firsthand what all the fuss is about."

"There are more troublesome events than this," Sims said. "I've been a college student before, so this isn't necessarily weird. This is the way college students act sometimes."

It looks like the University has begun to take a more healthy approach to this annual event.

I was particularly taken by the thoughts of this participant in the Streak.

Maria Malizia said she felt "so much adrenaline" when she streaked down the road twice and said she felt obligated to participate because she lives in Mifflin Hall.

"I led the group of boys. It was really liberating," Malazia (freshman-Italian) shouted to her friends, jumping up and down. "All I was thinking was, 'Why is everybody taking pictures of me?' I was like, 'Oh my gosh, I have to run through before the po-po see me."

What drew my attention to her musings was not their profundity, rather it was her name. Her dad, local lawyer and businessman Sam Malizia, is running for a position on the Penn State Board of Trustees this year.

Yes times are changing.

Technorati Tags: ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: